INSTRUCTOR'S FORUM

We’ve created a forum for fitness instructors to ask questions, share their experiences (the good and the bad) and help others.

Create new topics to start a conversation on whatever area of fitness instructing that you would like to chat about!

When part of this community, make sure you abide by the rules by remaining respectful to all members and posting relevant and non-offensive material.

How to best encourage nervous first timers?

I run Zumba classes and HIIT bootcamp sessions and I've recently had a few new members join which has been great! However,  I've noticed that they have seemed quite intimidated by the classes. For example, in the Zumba class I overheard one new member say that they've never been a great dancer so found the class hard! Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to talk to them before they left the class.

Has anyone else experienced new members feeling nervous/intimidated? I pride myself on a friendly and welcoming approach, so I just wanted to see if there's a way to encourage them to think differently!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Dan

[email protected] has reacted to this post.

Hi Dan

Yes I know what you mean.

I always tell the students before the class begins that if they are finding it hard to follow the routines that they should do just the arm movements or just the footwork, and that once they've done a couple of classes they can start to combine the two. Also I make a big point of saying that Zumba is about the feel good factor, that as long as they are moving about and enjoying themselves, that's the most important thing. Technique will follow.

I hope that helps, it does lighten the mood when they know that they will not be judged on their technical ability.

[email protected] has reacted to this post.